28 Vegetable Frittata
1 hour 5 minutes
This Vegetable Frittata is quick and easy to make, is packed with flavor and is perfect for enjoying any time of the day.
Ingredient’s list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure,
either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
4 ounces as purchased (AP) fresh red onions
1 pound and 8 ounces AP fresh whole red bell peppers
1 pound and 8 ounces AP fresh whole tomatoes
2 ounces AP fresh garlic
2 teaspoons table salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1½ ounces or ½ bunch AP fresh cilantro
2 pounds AP fresh spinach with stems
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
33 fresh whole eggs, large (USDA food item)
2 cups low-fat milk, one percent
1 quart reduced fat, yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (USDA food item)
Pan release spray
To Prepare Vegetables
1. Peel, trim, and dice onions into 1 inch pieces to measure ½ cup. Set aside.
2. Rinse bell peppers under cool running water. Dice into ½ inch pieces to measure 1 quart. Set aside.
3. Rinse tomatoes under room temperature running water. Dice into ½ inch pieces to measure 3 cups.
4. Peel and mince garlic to measure 2 tablespoons.
5. Measure salt, cumin, and black pepper. Set aside.
6. Rinse cilantro under cool running water. Trim and chop leaves and stems into ⅛ inch pieces to measure ½ cup. Set aside.
7. Rinse spinach under cool running water. Trim and chop spinach into ½ inch pieces to measure 3 quarts and 1 cup. Set aside.
8. Heat large sauté pan or tilt skillet. Add oil.
9. Add onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, salt, cumin, black pepper, cilantro, and spinach to oil. Sauté at medium flame until softened.
10. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool for a minute.
To Prepare Egg Mixture
11. .Combine eggs, milk, and 2 cups cheese in large mixing bowl. Reserve remaining 2 cups of cheese for topping; set aside. Combine egg mixture in mixer using paddle attachment on low speed for 2 minutes.
12. Add vegetables to egg mixture. Mix to combine.
13. Preheat convection oven to 350°F or conventional oven to 375°F.
14. Spray to coat one–12 inch by 20 inch by 2½ inch pan with pan release spray
15. Pour egg and vegetable mixture into pan.
16. Bake in preheated convection oven for 25 minutes or conventional oven for 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Critical Control Points (CCP): Heat egg mixture to 155°F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
17. . Remove frittata from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
18. Cut pan 6 slices by 8 slices to yield 48–2 inch by 2½ inch pieces.
19. Serve one–2 inch by 2½ inch piece frittata per serving.
Calories, in K calories: 100.00
Carbohydrates, in grams: 3.34
Protein, in grams: 8.20
Saturated fat, in grams: 2.50
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 6.12
Sodium, in milligrams: 241.86