Beef Torta Sandwich
50 Beef Torta Sandwich
1 hour 5 minutes
Spicy Mediterranean beef sandwich recipe on a whole grain roll with fresh jalapenos and cheese developed by the California Culinary Centers for school food service menu planning.
This recipe yields 50–8 ounce beef torta sandwiches
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
50–2.5 ounces whole grain-rich torta rolls
2 pounds or 168 slices (.20 ounces each slice) turkey bacon, slices, precooked
7 pounds and 13 ounces as purchased (AP) frozen raw beef, shredded
1 pound and 12 ounces or 3 quarts and ½ cup ready to use romaine lettuce,
3 pounds AP fresh large tomatoes
9 ounces AP fresh whole jalapeno peppers
1 pound and 9 ounces yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (U.S. Department of
Agriculture food item)
To Prepare in Advance
1. Thaw torta rolls in refrigerator, if frozen. Hold for assembly.
2. Thaw beef in refrigerator. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw beef in refrigerator at 41°F or lower for up to 48 hours.
3. Boil beef in bag, in 24 quart pot for 30 minutes. CCP: Heat beef until internal
temperature reaches 145°F or higher
4. CCP: Hold beef in warmer for service at 135°F or higher
5. Place shredded lettuce in 3 gallon or larger container
6. Rinse, trim, and slice tomatoes into ⅛ inch slices. Place tomato slices in 3 gallon or larger container.
7. Rinse jalapenos, trim and remove seeds, and chop. Place in 3 gallon or larger container
8. Place cheese in 3 gallon or larger container
To Assemble Beef Torta Sandwich
1. Place bottom halves of torta rolls on 18 inch by 26 inch by 1 inch sheet pan lined with parchment paper
2. Remove beef from warmer.
3. Top each roll with: ⅜ cup or one number 10 scoop of warm shredded beef, ¼ cup or one number 16 scoop of shredded lettuce, 2 slices of tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of jalapenos, 2 tablespoons of cheese, and top with second half of roll.
4. Portion one torta sandwich in an individual serving container, serve immediately.
Calories, in K calories: 311
Carbohydrates, in grams: 22.20
Protein, in grams: 29.70
Saturated fat, in grams: 4.20
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 9.90
Sodium, in milligrams: 716.10