Vegetarian Fried Rice with Edamame
50 Vegetarian Fried Rice with Edamame
This recipe yields one–10 inch by 12 inch by 4 inch steam table pan, or 50–1 cup or one number 4 scoop servings of fried rice.
Protein packed vegetarian fried rice with edamame developed by the California Culinary
Centers for school food service menu planning.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
3 pounds and 8 ounces long grain, brown rice, parboiled, dry
Pan release spray
1 gallon, 3 quarts, and 3 cups water, boiling
6 pounds as purchased (AP) fresh yellow onions
2½ pounds AP fresh whole carrots
3 pounds AP fresh green onions
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup fresh garlic, minced, ready-to-use
3 pounds or 2 quarts and 2 cups frozen edamame, shelled, ready-to-use
4 pounds or 42 frozen egg patties, 1.5 ounce patties
3 cups soy sauce, low-sodium
To Prepare in Advance
1. Spray 10 inch by 12 inch by 4 inch steam table pan with pan release spray.
2. Place 3 pounds and 8 ounces of rice into pan. Add 1 gallon, 3 quarts, and 3 cups of boiling water to pan. Cover pan with parchment and foil.
3. Place in preheated 350°F conventional oven or 325°F convection oven.
4. Bake for 1 hour. Check rice for doneness, continue cooking until rice appears dry. Fluff with fork. Recover and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Cool rice in refrigerator to 41°F or lower for next day service. Critical Control Point (CCP): Reduce temperature from 135°F to 70°F within 2 hours and from 70°F to 41°F or colder within an additional 4 hours.
To Prepare for Service
5. Rinse, trim, and chop yellow onions to measure 3 quarts and ½ cup.
6. Peel, trim, and shred carrots to measure 1 quart and 3½ cups.
7.Rinse, trim, and chop green onions into 1 inch pieces to measure 1 quart and 1 cup.
8. Heat oil in sauté pan or tilt skillet. Add yellow onion. Sauté for 2 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic. Sauté additional 1 minute.
9. Add shredded carrots and shelled edamame, continue to sauté for additional 5 minutes.
10. Add green onions and cooled brown rice, stir to combine.
11. Place egg patties on 18 inch by 26 inch by 1 inch lined baking sheet pan. Place in preheated oven 350°F conventional oven or 325°F convection oven.
12. Bake for 8 minutes or until patties reach internal temperature of 145°F.
13. Cut egg patties into thin strips on cutting board. Fold egg into rice mixture.
14. Stir soy sauce into rice mixture.
15. Transfer fried rice to one–10 inch by 12 inch by 4 inch pan for 50 servings. Cover and hold in warmer for service. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher..
16. Portion 1 cup or one number 4 scoop for each serving.
Calories, in K calories: 255
Carbohydrates, in grams: 34
Protein, in grams: 10.40
Saturated fat, in grams: 2.10
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 8.90
Sodium, in milligrams: 1,104.40