Rockin’ Moroccan Stew
50 Rockin’ Moroccan Stew
1 hour and 5 minutes
This recipe yields 4 gallons, 2 quarts and 3 cups. 50–1½ cup or 12 ounce ladle servings of stew
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
1 number 10 can tomatoes, diced (U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] food
16 pounds and 4 ounces or 2½ number 10 cans of canned garbanzo beans
(chickpeas) (USDA food item)
½ cup vegetable oil (USDA food item)
1 pound or 3 cups fresh celery, diced
3 tablespoons ground ginger
3 tablespoons ground turmeric
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
2½ tablespoons ground nutmeg
2 gallons and 1 quart vegetable broth, low sodium
2 pounds or 1 quart and 1 cup long grain brown rice, dry (USDA food item)
38 whole grain-rich pita bread, 2 ounces each
½ pound or 2½ cups fresh cilantro, bunch
1½ ounces or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounce equivalents meat/meat alternative
- 2 ounce equivalents whole grain-rich
- ⅛ cup red/orange vegetable
- ¼ cup other vegetable
- Canned tomatoes, diced
- Canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Vegetable oil
- Long grain brown rice, dry
- CCP: Heat to internal temperature of 165°F for at least 15 seconds
- CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher
- CCP: If held for next day service, reduce temperature from 135°F to 70°F within two
hours and from 70°F to 41°F or colder within an additional four hours.
- CCP: Reheat to at least 165°F for 15 seconds prior to service
To Prepare Rice One Day in Advance
1. Open canned tomatoes (keep juice) and garbanzo bean. Drain beans.
2. Heat oil over medium-high in large stockpot or steam jacketed kettle. Add onions and celery, sauté until soft.
3. Add ginger, turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
4. Add canned tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, and garbanzo beans, stir well.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour
6. Add rice to stew, cover and return to a simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Cut each pita bread into four triangles, place in warmer on low heat.
8. Add cilantro and lemon juice to stew. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Critical Control Point (CCP): Heat to internal temperature of 165°F for at least 15 seconds. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher
9. Pour 10 pounds and 14¼ ounce (equal to 1 gallon and 2 quarts) into each 12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch steam table pan. Use three–12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch steam table pans. Stew will continue to thicken over time, add hot water to thin out, as needed.
10. Portion 1½ cups (12 ounce ladle) for each serving.
11. Serve each serving of stew with three warm pita triangles.
Calories, in K calories: 447
Carbohydrates, in grams: 80
Protein, in grams: 14
Saturated fat, in grams: 2
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 8
Sodium, in milligrams: 539
Contribution to Meal Pattern
The contribution to the meal pattern for this recipe is based on the suggested serving