48 Pork Afritada
1 hour 20 minutes
This recipe yields one 12 inch by 20 inch by 6 inch pan of pork afritada for 48 servings:⅔ cup or one number 6 scoop.
Simple savory pork stew recipe with fresh carrots and potatoes developed by the California Culinary Centers for school food service menu planning.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
10 pounds and 13 ounces Pork leg roast, boneless, frozen (U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
⅝ cup soy sauce, low-sodium
¼ cup lemon juice
3 cloves as purchased (AP) fresh garlic cloves
1 pound AP fresh onions, whole
2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
2 pounds and 8 ounces AP fresh carrots, whole
2 pounds and 8 ounces AP red potatoes, whole, with skin on
1 quart canned diced tomatoes (USDA food item)
1½ teaspoons table salt
1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
1. Thaw roast in refrigerator one or two days in advance. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw roast in refrigerator at 41°F or lower for 48 hours.
2. Cube pork into 1 inch by 1 inch by 1 inch cubes.
3. Mix soy sauce and lemon juice in mixing bowl
4. Combine marinade and pork cubes in large food container. Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. CCP: Refrigerate pork at 41°F or lower.
5. Wash carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic in cool running water.
6. Peel carrots and cut off carrot tops. Slice carrots.
7. Dice potatoes with skin on.
8. Peel and trim garlic and onions. Mince garlic.
9. Chop onions to measure 2⅓ cups.
10. Add garlic and onions to marinated pork, mix well.
11. Preheat oven to 350°F for conventional oven or 325°F convection oven.
12. Transfer pork onto one–12 inch by 20 inch by 6 inch pan for 48 servings.
13. Cover the pan tightly.
14. Roast in 350°F conventional oven for 30 minutes or 325°F convection oven for 25 minutes.
15. Remove pan cover. Add chicken stock, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes with juice, salt, and pepper to pork mixture. Cover pan, return to oven.
16. Continue cooking for approximately 30 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165°Fand liquid is reduced. CCP: Heat to 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
17. Portion ⅔ cup or one number 6 scoop of pork afritada for each serving. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher.
Calories, in K calories: 289
Carbohydrates, in grams: 8.10
Protein, in grams: 19.20
Saturated fat, in grams: 6.79
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 19.64
Sodium, in milligrams: 375.06