Chili Con Carne
48 Chili Con Carne
1 hour 5 minutes
Protein packed chili with beans, beef, and fresh vegetables developed by the California Culinary Centers for school food service menu planning.
This recipe yields one–12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch steam table pan of chili con carne for 50 servings: ¾ cup or one–6 ounce ladle.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
3 pounds frozen raw ground beef, 85 percent lean meat and 15 percent fat (U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
1 pound and 3 ounces or 3½ cups ready-to-use, fresh yellow onions, diced
1 pound and 3 ounces or 2¾ cups ready-to-use, fresh green bell peppers, diced
¼ cup and 2½ teaspoons chili powder
¼ cup and ¾ teaspoon paprika
¼ cup and ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ cup and ¾ teaspoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons and 1¼ teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons and 1¼ teaspoons of kosher salt
1¾ teaspoons ground black pepper
1 quart and 1 cup water
3 pounds and 14 ounces or 1 quart and 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (USDA
1 pound and 10 ounces or ¼ number 10 can tomato paste (USDA food item)
⅞ number 10 can kidney beans (USDA food item)
⅞ number 10 can pinto beans (USDA food item)
To Prepare in Advance
1. Thaw ground beef in refrigerator at 41°F or lower one or two days in advance. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw meat in refrigerator at 41°F or lower.
2. Brown ground beef over high heat in stock pot or tilt skillet. Once browned, remove from stock pot, drain to remove excess fat; set aside.
3. Sauté onions until translucent.
4. Add peppers and continue to sauté for additional 5 minutes.
5. . Add meat to onion and pepper mixture.
6. Combine chili powder, paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, cumin, salt, pepper, water, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
7. Rinse and drain kidney and pinto beans. Add to meat mixture.
8. Stir ingredients until well combined.
9. Continue to simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. CCP: Cook to 165°F or higher for 15 seconds.
10. Pour chili into one–12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch pan. Hold for service. CCP: Hold at 135°F or higher for service.
11. Portion ¾ cup or one–6 ounce ladle chili into 1 cup individual bowls or similar sized containers.
12. Serve ¾ cup or one–6 ounce ladle chili for each serving.
Calories, in K calories: 135.00
Carbohydrates, in grams: 17.90
Protein, in grams: 9.70
Saturated fat, in grams: 1.40
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 3.80
Sodium, in milligrams: 386.00