Chilaquiles with Eggs
50 Chilaquiles with Eggs
1 hour 5 minutes
This recipe yields one–12 inch by 20 inch by 6 inch, steam table pan of chilaquiles with eggs for 50 servings: ½ cup or one number 8 scoop.
Chilaquiles (pronounced cheela-keelays) is a Southwest comfort recipe for breakfast with warm cheese, eggs, and whole grain tortillas developed by the California Culinary Centers for school food service menu planning.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure,
either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
2 quarts and 1 cup of precooked scrambled egg mix
50 whole grain-rich tortillas, 6 inch round, 1 ounce each (U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
1 pound as purchased fresh untrimmed kale
1 quart and 1 cup of fresh pico de gallo
1 quart and 3 cups of low-sodium salsa, pouch (USDA food item)
2 cups of reduced-fat yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (USDA food item)
2 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded (USDA food item)
1. Thaw precooked scrambled egg mix in refrigerator at 41°F or lower. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw egg in refrigerator at 41°F or lower.
2. Preheat convection oven to 350°F.
3. Cut 50 corn tortillas into ½ inch strips.
4. Spray one–18 inch by 26 inch by 1 inch sheet pan with pan release spray. Spread tortilla strips on pan in a single layer. Spray with pan release spray to coat.
5. Bake tortilla strips at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes until strips turn light golden brown. Place tortilla strips in one–12 inch by 20 inch by 6 inch steam table pan
6. Pour precooked scrambled egg mix evenly over tortilla strips.
7. Rinse kale under cool running water. Trim and chop kale into 1 inch pieces to measure 3 cups.
8. Add chopped kale, pico de gallo, and salsa to tortilla strips and eggs mixture. Mix well to combine. Lightly pat down tortilla strips so they are all covered in juices from salsa. Cover pan with parchment and foil.
9. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until internal temperature has reached 160°F. CCP: Bake until internal reached 160°F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
10. Combine cheeses and sprinkle on top of egg mixture; lightly cover with foil. Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes until cheese melts. Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher. CCP: Hold for service at 135°F or higher.
11. Portion ½ cup (one number 8 scoop) for each serving.
Calories, in K calories: 153.00
Carbohydrates, in grams: 13.50
Protein, in grams: 8.80
Saturated fat, in grams: 2.90
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 6.70
Sodium, in milligrams: 295.90