Chicken Tortilla Soup
48 Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 hour 5 minutes
Southwestern chicken tortilla soup with black beans developed by the California
Culinary Centers for school food service and menu planning.
This recipe yields 5 gallons of chicken tortilla soup to make 50–1½ cup or 12 ounce
ladle servings of soup with 2 ounces of tortilla chips.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
5 pounds and 10 ounces fully cooked frozen chicken fajita strips (U.S.
Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
1 cup vegetable oil (USDA food item)
3 cups frozen whole kernel corn (USDA food item)
5 pounds and 6 ounces as purchased (AP) fresh whole yellow onions
2 ounces ready to use garlic, minced
½ cup dried whole oregano
¾ cup light chili powder
½ cup dried ground coriander
1 quart and ⅓ cup salsa, canned (USDA food item)
1 gallon and 2 cups diced tomatoes, canned (USDA food item)
1 gallon water
1½ cups lime juice
3 quarts and 1¼ cups or 2 number 10 cans low sodium black beans, canned
(USDA food item)
3⅛ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
2¼ cups or 1 bunch fresh cilantro
6 pounds and 12 ounces round tortilla chips
To Prepare in Advance
1. Thaw chicken fajita strips in refrigerator one to two days prior to preparation. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw chicken in the refrigerator at 41°F or lower.
To Prepare Soup
1. Pour oil into tilt skillet and heat over medium heat. Add chicken and corn. Cook until both are golden brown.
2. Remove chicken and corn with slotted spoon, set aside.
3. Peel and trim onions. Dice onions into ¼ inch pieces to measure 1 quart and 2 cups
4. Add onions and garlic to tilt skillet. Stir until caramelized.
5. Combine oregano, chili powder, and coriander
6.Add salsa, diced tomatoes, water, and lime juice to tilt skillet.
7. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
8. Turn off heat and blend ingredients in tilt skillet with immersion blender until completely pureed.
9. Add chicken and corn. Simmer over medium heat. CCP: Heat soup to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher.
10. Rinse and drain beans in colander, add to soup.
11. Hold for service. CCP: Hold soup for service at 135°F or higher
1. Rinse cilantro under cool running water. Chop cilantro, set aside.
2. Ladle 1½ cups or 12 ounce ladle of soup into 16 ounce microwave-safe bowl.
3. Garnish and top with 1 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella and 1 teaspoon of cilantro.
4. Serve 16 ounce individual bowl with 2 ounces or approximately 36 tortilla chipson the side.
Calories, in K calories: 473
Carbohydrates, in grams: 57.64
Protein, in grams: 21.51
Saturated fat, in grams: 4.57
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 17.22
Sodium, in milligrams: 1,032