Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
48 Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 hour 5 minutes
Chicken and sausage gumbo recipe with the comforting taste of warm Louisiana spices
developed by the California Culinary Centers for school food service and menu planning.
This recipe yields 4 gallons of chicken and sausage gumbo and 3 gallons and 2 cups rice to make 50–2¼ cup bowls (1¼ cups gumbo, 1 cup rice, and 2 teaspoons green onions).
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
4 pounds and 11 ounces fully cooked frozen chicken fajita strips (U.S.
Department of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
1 pound and 9 ounces frozen andouille link sausage
7 pounds dry parboiled, long grain, brown rice (USDA food item)
1 gallon and 2 quarts water
3½ cups vegetable oil (USDA food item)
1 quart and 1 cup all-purpose flour (USDA food item)
5 pounds and 6 ounces as purchased (AP) fresh whole yellow onions
5 pounds and 3 ounces AP fresh red bell peppers
4 pounds and 2 ounces fresh celery, trimmed
3 quarts and ½ cup or 1⅓ number 10 can kidney bean, canned (USDA food item)
1 cup ready to use garlic, minced
½ cup ground cumin
½ cup dried whole oregano
½ cup dried thyme
3½ gallons water
2 cups ready to use green onions, diced
To Prepare in Advance
1. Thaw chicken and sausage in refrigerator two days prior to service. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw chicken and sausage in the refrigerator at 41°F or lower
2. Preheat conventional oven to 375°F or convection oven to 350°F.
To Prepare Rice
1.Combine rice and water in one–12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch steamtable pan. Cover pan with foil and place in oven. Cook for 90 minutes. CCP: Cook rice to an
internal temperature of 135°F for 15 seconds. Hold rice at 135°F until service.
To Prepare Gumbo
1. Cut andouille sausage ¼ inch thick on a diagonal.
2. Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil over medium heat in tilt skillet. Set aside remaining unused oil.
3. Cook sausage and chicken until brown.
4. Remove sausage and chicken with slotted spoon, set aside
5. Add remaining oil and flour to tilt skillet over medium heat. Stir flour mixture until brown colored roux.
6. Peel and trim yellow onions
7. Rinse, trim, and remove seeds of red bell pepper. Rinse celery.
8. Dice yellow onions, red bell peppers and celery into ¼ inch pieces to measure 1 quart and 2 cups for each vegetable.
9. Add diced yellow onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to tilt skillet. Stir until onions are translucent.
10. Rinse and drain beans, add to tilt skillet, and stir
11. Add cumin, oregano, and thyme and stir in tilt skillet
12. Add additional water to skillet. Simmer for 1 hour until smooth and thick. CCP: Heat to an internal temperature of 165°F for 15 seconds
13. Skim off any fat from top of gumbo. Hold for service. CCP: Hold for service at 135°F or higher
14. Remove rice from oven, let cool. CCP: Hold for service at 135°F
15. Portion 1¼ cups or one number 4 scoop and one number 16 scoop gumbo in 16 ounce microwave-safe bowl. Top with 1 cup or one number 4 scoop rice and 2
teaspoons or one number 100 scoop green onions for each serving. Serve immediately
Calories, in K calories: 419
Carbohydrates, in grams: 40.50
Protein, in grams: 17.70
Saturated fat, in grams: 3.80
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 20.90
Sodium, in milligrams: 495.80