Apple Berry Chicken Salad
50 Apple Berry Chicken Salad
This recipe yields 50–10 ounce Apple Berry Chicken Salads in 24 ounce individual
Apple Berry Chicken Salad with fresh strawberries and walnuts developed by the
California Culinary Centers for school food service menu planning.
Ingredients list includes measure by weight or volume. Choose one measure, either weight or volume, for the ingredient. Weight is listed first in bold.
6 pounds and 14 ounces frozen, fully-cooked chicken, diced (U.S. Department
of Agriculture [USDA] food item)
9 pounds and 10 ounces as purchased (AP), fresh, romaine lettuce
1 pound and 14 ounces or 3 quarts and ⅔ cup fresh, ready to use green
2 pounds and 9 ounces or 3 quarts and ½ cup AP fresh, ready to use carrots,
4 pounds and 4 ounces dried cherries (USDA food item)
4 pounds and 13 ounces AP fresh strawberries
3 pounds and 7 ounces AP fresh, whole red or green apples
1 quart citrus based juice such as orange juice
3 pounds and 2 ounces English walnut pieces
50–1.5 ounce packets raspberry vinaigrette
To Prepare Rice One Day in Advance
1. Thaw diced chicken in refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove thawed diced chicken and place in one–12 inch by 20 inch by 4 inch steam table pan. Hold in refrigerator for assembly. Critical Control Point (CCP): Thaw and hold chicken in refrigerator at 41°F or
To Prepare Salad Mixture
2. Rinse lettuce under cold running water. Drain, trim, and chop lettuce. Place 4 gallons, 2 quarts, and 3 cups chopped lettuce in one–18 inch by 26 inch by 9 inch or one–13 gallon or similar food container. Cover and hold for assembly in refrigerator. CCP: Hold lettuce
in refrigerator at 41°F or lower.
3.Place shredded cabbage and shredded carrots in one–18 inch by 26 inch by 9 inch or one–13 gallon or similar food container. Mix cabbage and carrots together. Cover and hold in refrigerator for assembly. CCP: Hold cabbage and carrots in refrigerator at 41°F
4. BPlace dried cherries in one–10⅜ inch by 12¾ inch by 2½ inch pan or similar capacity container. Hold for assembly.
5. Rinse strawberries under cold running water. Cut each strawberry into 4 slices. Place sliced strawberries in one–10⅜ inch by 12¾ inch by 2½ inch pan or similar capacity container. Hold for assembly.
6. Rinse apples under cold running water. Dice apples into ¼ inch cubes and set aside in one–6⅞ inch by 12¾ inch by 2½ inch or similar capacity pan. Mix in citrus-based juice such as orange juice in pan with apples to lightly coat and to keep apples from browning.
Hold for assembly.
7. Place walnut halves in one–10⅜ inch by 12¾ inch by 2½ inch pan or similar capacity container. Hold for assembly.
8. Arrange and stage ingredients in sequence of assembly on Ameri Pac machine or worktable to build salad.
9. Scoop 1½ cups lettuce in a 24 ounce or similar capacity individual serving tray.
10. Top with ½ cup or one number 8 scoop of cabbage and carrot mixture.
11. Scoop on top ⅜ cup or one number 10 scoop of chicken.
12. Top with ¼ cup or one number 16 scoop of sliced strawberries.
13. Place ¼ cup or one number 16 scoop of diced apples on top.
14. Top with ¼ cup or one number 16 scoop of dried cherries and 2 tablespoons or one number 30 scoop of walnut pieces
15. Cover or wrap individual salads for service. CCP: Hold Apple Berry Chicken Salads in refrigerator 41°F or lower.
16. Serve one–7½ inch by 6½ inch by 2 inch, 24 ounce container for each serving.
Calories, in K calories: 461
Carbohydrates, in grams: 48.20
Protein, in grams: 28.30
Saturated fat, in grams: 1.70
Trans fat, in grams: 0
Total fat, in grams: 19.40
Sodium, in milligrams: 71.20